MISC is happy to promote any iSchool student-run events and activities to MI students. We use the following online channels to stay in touch:
- Digest: MISC sends a weekly e-mail digest to all MI students via the faculty's listserv. Digests generally go out every Monday in the evening, though during less busy periods some weeks may be skipped.
- Calendar: The MISC calendar is a "one-stop" resource on what's happening in student life at the iSchool. It gets a lot of traffic, and is a great way to get the word out about your event. It's also a handy way to make sure the event you're scheduling doesn't conflict with something else.
- Facebook: Although not all MI students are on Facebook, we've had a pretty vibrant community going for the past few years. Future information professionals are unsurprisingly quite at home on social media!
- Twitter: Another great way to get the word out to the iSchool community, and practice your professional tweeting skills.
Please note the following guidelines for submitting announcements:
- We are happy to promote any initiatives that are run by iSchool student groups, and we encourage you to submit requests for any meetings, talks, tours, or other events open to iSchool students.
- To request an announcement, please fill out the form below.
- Requests that are submitted for external events will be curated very carefully. We want to ensure MISC channels are used to communicate unique information of interest, so students continue to find them valuable.
- The MISC calendar is reserved exclusively for events or activities that are run by iSchool students, for iSchool students. External events will not be posted.
- If your request is rejected, there are many other ways to reach the iSchool community, e.g. via the Faculty of Information's Communications Department: How to submit promotional material.
- Calendar, Facebook, and Twitter requests will generally be posted within 48hrs, to the best of MISC's ability. Please remember that MISC members are all volunteers as well as fellow students! If you don't see your requested announcement after 48hrs, kindly poke us at email@example.com.
- The weekly cut-off for digest requests is Saturday at 11:59pm. Requests received before this cut-off will be included in Monday's digest, while requests received after will be pushed to the following week. Please note: in order to avoid spamming students with constant e-mails, MISC will not fulfill send any announcements outside of our regular digests.
- A single request will only be included in a maximum of two digests. If you submitted your request more than two Saturdays before your event date, it will be included in the first digest after submission and again the last digest before the event.
Don't forget to promote your event in meatspace too! Here are some useful guidelines for advertising around Bissell:
Posters sized 8.5" by 11" (or smaller) may be posted on designated bulletin boards in Bissell (e.g. between the elevators on each floor and in the 7th floor student lounge). Please consult the iSchool's poster policy (PDF). If you have any questions regarding this policy, please contact the iSchool Facilities Coordinator Glen Menzies.
If you would like to display an advertisement on the tv screens throughout Bissell (e.g. in the main floor lobby and outside the Inforum), please send an image that is 848x480 px to the iSchool Communications & Development Officer Kathleen O'Brien.
The Faculty of Information's Communications Department has provided additional information for submitting promotional material.